Saturday, July 12, 2008

Don't forget your blood pressure meds...

Because evidence suggests that you may then be at risk for forgetting just about everything.

Hypertension is a known risk factor for dementia and is associated with some of the same gummed-up brain changes also found in Alzheimer's disease (AD). Researchers evaluated the beleaguered brains of hypertensives and AD patients using proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy (don't ask, I have no idea). When compared to normal subjects, both those with dementia and the tension-filled had the same abnormalities in their brain composition. Furthermore, hypertension contributes to the changes in small blood vessels in the brain that lead to vascular dementia, another degenerative brain disease which can be indistinguishable from AD.

Research has shown that successful treatment of hypertension can decrease the risk of memory loss. A study of nearly 2,000 aging souls in Indiana over five years confirmed that the use of anti-hypertensive medication reduced the risk of dementia by 38%. Another trial known as the Systolic Hypertension in Europe (Syst-Eur) study was originally designed to investigate the protective effects of blood pressure treatment on risk of stroke. This portion of the trial was terminated early because the benefits of intervention were so clear with respect to decreasing incidence of stroke that researchers were compelled to offer the active-treatment to all participants. After that point, nearly 3,000 subjects, all now on medication, were followed for the occurrence of dementia. Blood pressure lowering therapy with a specific class of medications called dihydropyridines--Norvasc (amlodopine) and Plendil) reduced the incidence of such memory loss by 55%!

Syst-Eur investigators note that these drugs (also known as calcium channel blockers) seem to provide better protection against stroke compared to diuretics (Dyazide, HCTZ, Lasix) and beta-blockers (Toprol, atenolol, and others), and this advantage may also prevail in dementia prevention. Their results suggest that treating 1,000 hypertensive patients for five years with such meds can prevent 20 cases of dementia.

3 comments:

Mauigirl said...

Wow, good thing DH and I are both on BP medication. I think he's on Norvasc AND Atenolol. I wonder if Diovan helps prevent dementia...that's what I take.

Beverly said...

Thanks for this information. I never miss a dose. I'm glad to know that it is perhaps helping to diminish the risk of AD.

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. I always like to read your comments over at Jeans's and Wendy's.

I have had a menopause moment lately...

Mary Lou said...

Thanks for this information. I take Norvasc and have for several years along with two other meds for high blood pressure. I have worried about the connection between high blood pressure and dementia. this helps a great deal to calm my thoughts. What a blessing....He is watcing my back and going before me all at the same time.