Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Who's cee-ell-yoo less now?

A patient was in the other day with that which is going around. She sounded awful and looked worse, glassy-eyed and pale.

"So," she said after I looked her over, "do you think it's eff-ell-yoo?"

Hmm, I thought, eff-yoo-oh stands for fever of unknown origin. What's this fancy, new acronym about?

"What does eff-ell-yoo stand for?" I asked.

She looked at me dumbfounded. "Uh...Flu?"

Later, that day, another patient and I were talking about menopause moments. I told her this story, all the way through my clueless question. I paused, waiting for the laughter.

"So," she said with an expectant smile. "What does it stand for?"

3 comments:

Beverly said...

I love it. I had to go back and read the title a couple of times before I "got it."

Wendy said...

Oh boy - sounds like you're gonna have a lot more stories for us as the daze go by.

Mauigirl said...

That's great! I'm sure that made you feel better!