Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Meal curries no favor with patient

(or no brownie points for me!)

What a great lunch I'd had: green curry with jasmine rice (Tommy Thai's best!) followed by brownies courtesy of a drug rep. One-half hour later, I was in the exam room listening to my patient's update on her back pain. As she went on, I felt a soft blanket of carbohydrates roll over my brain. My eyelids grew heavy, but I struggled mightily to keep them open.

On average, patients don't notice my occasional post-prandial lapse, but this lady was a psychotherapist and, as such, a keen observer of human behavior. To my horror, she stopped abruptly, mid-sentence, and looked at me with alarm.

"Are you O.K.?" she inquired.

A burst of adrenalin cut through my fog, and we both had a good laugh over this doctor's inability to follow her own nutritional advice.

5 comments:

rlbates said...

I hope the brownie was a really good one.

Mauigirl said...

Many's a time I've dozed off in a post-lunch meeting at work! It's so hard to stay awake!

nonizamboni said...

Well, you're definitely in good company. I think the whole world tilts a bit at about 2 p.m. as everyone fades into la-la land.
Great post!

Wendy said...

Oh those carbs - ya gotta love them. Why can't they put us to sleep at night???

At least she didn't ask if she was boring you!

JeanMac said...

Too funny.