Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Color her clueless

My medical partner showed up one day in a bright cotton outfit. The problem, however, was that the bright top and T-shirt had nothing whatsoever to do with the boldly printed slacks, at least in a color sense. We're not talking clash in a sassy, young-at-heart sort of way--that top, those pants, simply had nothing whatsoever to do with each other by anyone's standards.

There are worse gaffes, for sure, say travel knit paired with linen, or light-colored shoes with a dark pair of slacks. We all wondered in silence whether this was a 'who gives a fig about fashion' statement, or had she just dressed in the dark. And no one said a word to her.

The next day she arrived, fully coordinated, and aghast that no one had mentioned her mismatch. Turns out, she did indeed dress in the dark. How then to explain an entire day spent under bright fluorescent lights, clueless as to her 'glamor don't'?

Menopause moment, for sure.

10 comments:

kenju said...

I would have expected color blindness.

I once attended a lecture at our art museum by the late Mark Hampton, design, decor and color guru.I wore an apple red dress and chose to wear red stockings that I thought matched the dress. To my horror, I discovered they were cherry red (and matched neither the dress, nor my shoes.) I saw him looking at me during the reception after the lecture, and I just know he was thinking that I had dressed in the dark, too. LOL

Reality Man said...

It is also a gaffe to call a gaffe a "gaff."

denverdoc said...

KJ: Love your story, you all dressed to the nines and there you are in cherry and apple,

RM: Who knew? A gaff is some kind of sealing hook, perhaps we could've used one to pull Ms. Color Clash off stage. Never actually saw that word in print, gaffe.

Reality Man said...

"Gaffe" is widely used these days in print as well as on television and radio with regard to John McCain.

Haralee said...

I have shoes that are the same but in navy and black and you all know the rest of the story of what happened when I looked down at my feet. The worst part was I noticed my dress in the dark mistake on a plane to a 3 day business meeting. First chance I got was to a store to buy a matching color pair of shoes!

Bear Naked said...

Well at least she didn't show up with fussy slippers on her feet.
(One of the reasons why I always have a spare pair of shoes stashed in my car!)

Bear((( )))

JeanMac said...

Now that is funny.

Wendy said...

Oh yeah, I remember dressing in the dark to go to work. The worst moment for me was putting a sweater on inside out. Fortunately, I noticed it in the car and changed in the washroom once I got to work.

Anonymous said...

I am deeply -- even profoundly -- relieved to learn that I'm not the only one who has gone to work in her slippers. Thank you, bear naked!

Mauigirl said...

LOL, one time I went to work with one fairly noticeably blue shoe (not a very dark navy) and one black shoe, from putting them on without turning on the closet light. They were identical shoes except for the color.